Between all the apps that let you binge-watch dog videos, pour real money into a fake beet farm, and order three pounds of jalapeno poppers at two in the morning, it’s important to remember that you can also use your phone for self-improvement. For example, millions of people are currently using apps to learn a new language.
The language learning app Duolingo — with its quirky practice phrases, aggressive branding, and persistent green owl mascot Duo — is one of the leaders in the space with more than 300 million registered users… which is 300 million more than came to our last birthday party.
It was just a matter of time until Twitter made Duolingo memes a thing. And, frankly, we’re surprised it took users this long to turn the evil Duolingo owl’s passive aggressive practice reminders and the in-app lessons into memes.
But, the Internet always provides, and now there’s even a Duolingo subreddit devoted to it.
19 of Our Favorite Duolingo Memes
Here’s a few of roundup of our favorite Duolingo memes, plus some in-app screengrabs that left us more than a little shook. (Don’t show this sentence to our copy editor. She’s scarier than the owl.)
1. Duolingo has cameras in our house.
2. Never shopping again.
3. Duolingo, do you need to talk?
4. And we would have gotten away with it if it weren’t for that pesky owl!
— Gingerable (@Gingerable1) April 20, 2019
5. Santa, is that you?
6. I’m giving this hotel zero stars for room service!
7. Thanks, Mom.
duolingo stalking my tinder like pic.twitter.com/n5wxa8zpDP
— Shit Duolingo Says (@shitduosays) April 16, 2019
8. The cow was very dirty.
— Karolina (@Karolin62623700) April 22, 2019
9. They said less would be rude.
10. Look, George R.R. Martin. Just finish Game of Thrones.
— Lorrae ? (@lorraefox) April 25, 2019
11. Oh, and I suppose you think it’s Yanni too, huh?
12. RUN AWAY!
13. Also the fanny packs.
— Aileen McKenna (@ACMckennaQUB) April 25, 2019
14. Luis needs to go to the hospital.
I don’t think the people on my Spanish learning app are okay… pic.twitter.com/X3bBaWDOqQ
— Your friend Siena (@TheSiena) February 18, 2017
15. First step: Get out of bed.
— Hana Nagel (@Miss_Hanie) April 25, 2019
16. Will these blue light blockers protect me from the owl?
17. GOD KAREN, what have you done now?!
18. Seems plausible.
19. The nightmare begins again tomorrow.