Unless you run a hedge fund, are obsessed with finding new The Wolf of Wall Street scenes to make memes from, or are named Chad, the stock market is generally boring. Well, not this week. In fact, there’s plenty of funny tweets and memes about what’s happening on Wall Street this week.
This week, Reddit — specifically the subredding r/wallstreetbets — decided to take on hedge fund managers that had shorted Gamestop (GME). And, in a matter of few weeks, they took the meme stock (sorry, stonk) from $39 to $347 at the close of the market today.
Their goal? To bankrupt the hedge fund managers when those shorts come due on Friday. So far, the hedge funds have lost five billion. Guess it’s time for them to cut back on the avocado toast.
Up next on their list? AMC, Blackberry, and Nokia. Because if we can’t go to the movie theater, at least we can get rich off them. YOLO!
Wall Street Memes and Tweets
1. Now seems a good time to ask.
2. Really is.
3. We’re all figuring this out collectively.
4. Do not let the poors near the caviar.
5. The latte habit is going to cost them.
6. There’s always options. No, not that kind.
Maybe the hedge fund can learn to code
— Otto Von Biz Markie (@Passionweiss) January 27, 2021
7. So nervous!
— Blake Jewell (@BlakeJewellNFL) January 27, 2021
8. They can do it. They’ll just pull themselves up by their bootstraps!
9. So that’s what this app is for.
10. We’re helping!
11. And maybe some houses.
12. Just had the same convo with our girls.
13. This wasn’t a problem before? Do we need help?
14. Funny that.
15. Refreshes page.
yeaaa im deff gonna develop a gambling addiction by the end of today
— first-mate prance (@bocxtop) January 27, 2021
16. Sorry we can’t hear you. What’s that? Hold the line?
17. Don’t forget fantasy sports.
20. Haha so we’ve got some bad news for ya, hedge funds.
21. It was nice while it lasted.