In my Valentine Donuts recipe, I gushed about how much I love Valentine’s Day. So, this year, I made Love Monster Cupcakes and a Valentine Dragon inspired by the Google Doodle of the Valentine’s Day pangolin.
I’ve got to admit, the dragon came first. But then I had to make the Love Monster Cupcakes because I wanted something edible for Valentine’s Day and there was no way I was going to eat my Valentine Dragon! (Tutorial on him coming tonight!)
How to Make Love Monster Cupcakes
These cupcakes are so easy. They’re inspired by The Cake Blog’s Love Bug Cupcakes but as I was having a heck of a time making frosting hair, I went in another direction!
* Cupcake ingredients
* Frosting ingredients
* Red Fondant
* Piping Bag
* Star Tip
* Pink or purple food dye
* Edible eyes
* Edible mustaches
To make the Love Monster Cupcakes, bake your favorite cupcakes. Any flavor is ok since we’ll be hiding the cake with frosting. While the cupcakes are cooling, make the heart-shaped ears. Roll out some red fondant and cut out hearts using a heart-shaped cookie cutter. The reason you want to make these early is so they’ll dry and harden up so they don’t flop over when you put them on the cupcake!
Make your favorite light-colored frosting and dye it purple. Then fit a bag with a star tip (I used #32) and pipe all around the cupcake. To get the spiky look, hover just over the cupcake, pipe for just a moment and let go, pulling straight up as you do. It might take a few tries but you’ll get the hang of it!
After you’re piping, add the ears! They should have hardened by now, but if not, just wait until they do. Then add two little eyes and a mustache, and you’re done! Easy peasy.
If you’re a visual learner like I am, this video shows how to pipe the fur on with the star tip.
Love Monster CupcakesPrint Recipe
- red fondant
- 1 heart-shaped cookie cutter
- piping bag
- 1 star tip and coupler
- edible eyeballs
- edible mustaches
- 1. Bake your favorite cupcakes. Let cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, roll out the red fondant and cut out hearts with the cookie cutter. Set aside and let dry until hard.
- Make frosting. Dye purple or preferred monster color.
- Place in piping bag fitted with coupler and star tip. Pipe stars all around edge of cupcake then fill in middle with stars.
- Insert hearts into cupcake. Add two eyes and mustache.
Let’s Eat Cake, Valentine: Valentine’s Day Giveaway
- This Hot Cocoa Bomb Reveals a Baby Yoda - November 24, 2020
- What’s After Banana Bread? Here are the Rising Baking Recipes in Each State - May 4, 2020
- Adorable Martens Cause $79 Million In Car Damage Each Year - November 30, 2019