If you want to reduce stress or sleep better, moon milk may help. This dairy-free Vanilla Rose Moon Milk recipe is made with ashwagandha, dried rose petals, honey, and tart cherry juice.
What Is Moon Milk and What Does It Do?
Moon Milk comes from the the 5,000 year-old Ayruvedic belief that drinking warm milk helps induce restful, deep sleep. So, while it might look like something invented just for Instagram, it’s actually been around a lot longer.
Some traditional Ayruvedic recipes include spices, honey, and adaptogens (like ashwaganda) to increase the drink’s stress-relieving properties, but they’re not required. That’s because some plant-based milks such as almond, oat, and walnut milk contain melatonin, tryptophan, and magnesium. All of these can help you get that deep sleep. If you drink dairy, cow milk has the same effect.
Moon Milk Flavors:
If you want to change up the moon milk recipe below by mixing and matching the spices and adaptogens, start with hot milk and add one of the following. (Before you add any supplement to your diet, we highly recommend checking with your doctor first. Unless your doc is Doctor Nick. Then just carry on.)
- Ashwagahnda: Taking this adaptogen daily may improve anxiety and relieve stress.
- Rose: The light, floral sent of rose is calming and comforting and edible rose petals can be found online or in your local spice shop. Use the extras in this zoodle recipe or make a rose simple syrup for future lattes.
- Lavender: Lavender may help you sleep and reduce stress. We used this herb in our Lavender Earl Grey cookies, but you can infuse the milk with it in this recipe. Don’t go overboard unless you need to wash your mouth out with soap.
- Turmeric: To make a golden milk, use the yellow spice turmeric, which may also reduce inflammation.
- Cardamom: Cardamom adds a little bit of sweetness and may aid digestion.
- Ginger: In winter, ginger is a great flavor! We use it in our gingerbread latte to give it a spicy holiday kick but like cardamom, it may also help with digestion.
- Tart Cherries: Tart cherry juice contains load of antioxidants and is also a good source of melatonin. In a small study focused on people suffering from insomnia, the participants slept better and stayed asleep for longer.
Where Can I Buy Moon Milk?
Many coffee shops make moon milk, usually in the form of a golden milk latte. Or, you could simply ask them to steam some milk and add cinnamon and honey to your drink. Or you could order a tub of the Vital Proteins pink moon milk collagen latte powder.
If you have a time machine and go back to the early 19th century, you’ll also find a different kind a moon milk, one made from a substance found in caves that some believed was petrified moonlight. It was, actually, dried calcite. It supposedly worked pretty well for heartburn, but we don’t recommend eating your crystals.
Vanilla Rose Moon MilkPrint Recipe
- Add milk, rose petals, vanilla extract, and ashwagandha to a small saucepan.
- Bring milk mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat. Heat until warmed through.
- Remove from heat and cover with lid for 5 minutes to steep.
- Strain out rose petals. Add cherry juice.
- Stir in honey. Pour into a mug, and enjoy.