These Peanut Butter Chocolate Fat Bombs are easy to make and even easier to eat. They’re also an easy keto diet recipe! Peanut butter isn’t your thing? Try our other fat bomb recipe that’s made with avocados.
What Are Keto Fat Bombs?
Keto Fat Bombs are made from healthy fats. Think avocado, coconut oil, and nut butters. If you mix those all together, you get something that we (the interwebs) like to call fat bombs. They’re like bath bombs, except they fizzle less inside your stomach!
The other ingredients you add are dealer’s choice. But if you’re making these fat bombs to stick with a keto lifestyle, avoid ingredients that are high in carbs. And contrary to what Regina George thinks, butter is not a carb, so that means you can toss it into your keto fat bomb recipe!
Ok, Back Up. What’s the Keto Diet?
Fad diets change more often than Blake Lively on a press tour, but one that seems to be sticking around is the keto diet. Short for “ketogenic,” it focuses on consuming lots of healthy fats, a moderate amount of protein, and hardly any carbs. The macro breakdown of the keto diet is 65-80% fat, 15-30% protein, and 5-10% carbs (max 30 grams).
To get that much fat in your diet, you could snack on a pint of ice cream. Or, you could try make these Fat Bombs instead!
Why would someone give up carbs when they make up the best things in life, like pasta, bagels, and pizza? It’s because consuming carbs (whether that’s from grains, fruits, or vegetables) leads to glucose production.
Your body burns glucose for energy. If there’s no glucose, your body burns fat for energy. No carbs = no glucose = less fat. If you’re looking to learn more about the Keto diet, check out The Keto Diet cookbook and diet guide by Leanne Vogel or this cookbook that focuses on fast 5-ingredient keto recipes.
How to Make Peanut Butter Chocolate Fat Bombs
There are tons of ways to make keto fat bombs, and they can take on nearly any flavor you desire. Below, I created a peanut butter chocolate recipe, because… well, you just try and name a more iconic duo.
- Place peanut butter and coconut oil in a small saucepan and heat, stirring continually, over medium heat until the combination transforms into a smooth liquid.
- Add the cocoa powder and stir until it has completely dissolved. Then add your vanilla and honey (or liquid stevia) and stir until these are completely mixed in.
- Remove the chocolate peanut butter mixture from the heat and carefully pour it into a silicon mold. Freeze for 20 minutes.
To Make Your Fat Bombs Keto Diet Friendly:
- Make sure you use a sugar-free vanilla extract so it doesn’t add any extra pesky carbs to the recipe.
- The recipe below uses honey to sweeten the Peanut Butter Chocolate Fat Bombs, but you’ll want to use a few drops of liquid stevia.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Keto Fat BombsPrint Recipe
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract (use sugar-free if keto)
- 2 drops liquid stevia (up to ¼ tsp. or 1½ Tbsp. honey)
- Place peanut butter and coconut oil in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring continually, until it turns into a smooth liquid.
- Add cocoa powder and stir until fully combined.
Add vanilla extract and liquid stevia (or honey), and stir until fully combined.
Remove the saucepan from heat and pour mixture into a silicon mold.
- Freeze the fat bombs for at 20 minutes before eating. Store in freezer.
How to Choose the Right Fats for Your Keto Fat Bomb Recipe
These are the best. Think of them as your favorite cousin who gives the best life advice and always lets you borrow her stylish clothes. This kind of fat can help reduce bad cholesterol (LDL). You’ll find monounsaturated fat in avocados, macadamia nuts, and olives.
These are good, but should be consumed in moderation. This is like your second favorite cousin who cracks the funniest jokes, but also breaks out in Hamilton show tunes every 30 minutes.
Polyunsaturated fats contain omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids and are essential to your diet because your body can’t produce them. Sort of like the amount of money you need to buy tickets to Hamilton. They help support brain, skin, and hair health, and more. Polyunsaturated fats are found in safflower oil, walnuts, and seafood. So in a way, salmon tartare is the OG fat bomb, but when it comes to dessert, I’ll stick with my chocolate recipe, thanks.
These get kind of confusing. Some are good, some aren’t – they’re like your aunt and uncle. He wears embarrassing Hawaiian shirts on family vacations, but she gives great birthday presents. Saturated fats differ by the length of their chemical chains. Coconut oil, a great binding ingredient for fat bombs, contains lauric acid which is a medium-chained fatty acid that has been shown to increase good cholesterol. Organic, free-range animal products like whole milk have a lot of omega-3 fatty acids, making this a good saturated fat as well.
These are the worst. This is like the third cousin twice removed who somehow manages to find his way to every family gathering and eats all the shrimp. Trans fat is used to turn oils into solids, and is often listed on labels as “partially hydrogenated oil.” Trans fats are created in an industrial process that combines hydrogen with vegetable oil, so you probably won’t be handling pure trans fat in your personal kitchen. However, this is useful information so you can avoid it when you’re eating packaged food products.
Latest posts by Hannah Rex (see all)
- Keto-Friendly Chocolate Avocado Fat Bombs - September 4, 2018
- 17 Jonathan Van Ness Moments We’ll Cherish Forever - June 15, 2018
- How to Travel to Cuba Before Americans Ruin It - April 10, 2018