This Apple Cider Mule is a refreshing twist on the traditional Moscow Mule. It’s made with Kentucky bourbon, apple cider, ginger beer and is the perfect cocktail for Fall.
Oh, Moscow Mule, how we love thee! Let us count the ways. One… two. There are two reasons we love you. Your ginger-led kick, for one, and two, your very specific vessel requirement — a copper mug that, weirdly, doesn’t keep drinks colder or add anything to the taste, but definitely tells everyone exactly what we’re drinking.
But now it’s fall and we need everything to taste cinnamon-y. That’s why we remixed the classic mule! Specifically, we swapped out the vodka for good ‘ol bourbon. We kept the ginger beer, but also added apple cider. Then we went bananas with some garnishes — none of which are bananas.
The result is an easy and delicious cocktail for a post-apple picking sesh or pre-Thanksgiving family blowout.
Fill that lovely copper mug with ice and strain the mixture into it. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and an apple slice. You could skip the garnish and the mug, but then what will you post on your socials?
What Kind of Ginger Beer Should I Get?
We recommend one of these ginger beers:
Can I Use Ginger Ale Instead?
Ginger ale is a fine accompaniment to saltine crackers, but is too sweet for a proper cocktail. You should use ginger beer instead of ginger ale in a Moscow Mule. Ginger ale doesn’t have the ginger-forward flavor of ginger beer, and your drink won’t have that mule kick you’re going for.
What Apple Cider Mule Variations Are Possible?
- Non-Alcoholic: Easy. Leave out the bourbon. Despite the name, ginger beer doesn’t actually contain alcohol. Or ginger! (Not sure about that last bit, but it definitely doesn’t have alcohol.)
- Spicy: Add cinnamon! A little bit goes a long way, so we’d start with ⅛ teaspoon per cocktail. Bonus: Cinnamon may improve heart health. Take that, turmeric — all you do is fight inflammation.
- Less Sweet: If bourbon is too sweet for you, swap the bourbon for whiskey or rye. If anyone starts singing, that’s a sign to cut them off.
Apple Cider MulePrint Recipe
- 4 oz. Kentucky bourbon
- 6 oz. ginger beer
- 1 oz. apple cider
- 1 apple slice (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- Fill copper mugs with cubed ice.
- Place bourbon, ginger beer, and apple cider in a cocktail shaker. Shake thoroughly and strain over ice.
- Add cinnamon stick to mug and top with apple slice to garnish.
Photos by Angela Persicke of Cooking with Wine.
- The 33 Funniest Tweets About the Second Presidential Debate - October 22, 2020
- 23 Scorpio Memes That Might Hit A Little Too Close to Home - October 21, 2020
- 25 Funny Tweets We Loved From Women This Week - October 19, 2020