If you’re looking for a fun Halloween treat, make this spooky Halloween Puppy Chow recipe. Simply combine peanut butter, powdered sugar, chocolate, and add your favorite candies.
It’s no secret that peanut butter and chocolate is one of my very favorite combinations. The other is 54-32-27… that’s the code to the Master Lock on my front door. In case you want to bring me more peanut butter, of course. This puppy chow recipe isn’t for puppies (though if you have a doggo, make sure to check out these Halloween costumes for dogs), but it is doggone good.
How to Make Muddy Buddies for Halloween
First, get all your ingredients together. For this, I used:
- Chex or another rice cereal
- Chocolate chips
- Private Selection Sea Salt Pretzel Bark
- Peanut Butter Cups
- Pumpkin Pie Kit Kats
- Candy Corn
- Pumpkin Cheesecake M&Ms
- Private Selection Kettle Cooked Sea Salt Caramel Cashews
Then, follow these steps:
- Place the Chex in a large resealable bag
- Melt the chocolate, peanut butter, and butter together in a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler, use a metal bowl set over a saucepan with an inch of boiling water. It works just as well. Or the microwave, fancy pants.
- Pour the mixture into the bag with the Chex and seal.
- Shake the bag gently to coat everything inside. Add one cup of powdered sugar. Reseal and shake until everything is coated.
- Then, pour the bag contents onto a baking sheet and toss with your favorite toppings! (Or, if you want to remove the extra powdered sugar, pour it into a metal sieve, and sift out the extra powdered sugar first.)
Halloween Puppy Chow Tips
Puppy chow — also known as muddy buddies — is a really easy recipe to make. Some might call it foolproof. I would not.
Why? Oh, because the first few times I made it, I may have struggled a bit getting the chocolate/peanut butter/butter mixture in the bag and ended up covering a not unsubstantial amount of my kitchen in chocolate. That’s what happens when you’re 95% Swedish Chef and 5% Kermit.
What did I learn? Put the cereal in the bag first. This way is much less messy. Put the Chex in the bag and pour the chocolate mixture on top. Is this groundbreaking? No. Will it save you lots of cleanup time? Yes.
Here are more tips.
- Use good chocolate! You are going to taste the chocolate, so you want to make sure to get the good stuff. I used Private Selection semi-sweet chocolate chips for this recipe, but you could use dark chocolate too.
- Use creamy peanut butter. I used the Simple Organic creamy peanut butter for this recipe because I love the flavor (seriously, do not leave me in a room with this and a spoon), but you could also use almond butter or even cashew butter.
- Shake off the extra powdered sugar. This step is totally optional, but otherwise everything is covered in white powder, and while that’s fine… I like this look better. Before I toss the candy with the rice cereal mixture, I put the muddy buddies in a metal sieve and shake it gently to get all the extra powdered sugar off.
- Don’t skimp on the toppings! Puppy Chow is great without them, but who doesn’t want extra candy? Don’t answer that Wilford Brimley.
Halloween Puppy ChowPrint Recipe
- 3 cups Chex
- 1/3 cup chocolate
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1½ Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2-3 cups toppings (candy, nuts, or pretzels)
- Place Chex cereal in large resealable bag.
- Place chocolate, peanut butter, and butter in microwave or double boiler. Heat until combined, stirring continually.
- Pour chocolate mixture on top of cereal, seal bag, and toss gently.
- Open bag and add powdered sugar. Reseal and toss gently.
- Pour mixture onto baking sheet and toss with your favorite toppings.
- The 19 Funniest New Year’s Resolution Memes to Read Before You Make Yours - December 31, 2022
- Elon Musk Announced His Hardcore “Twitter 2.0” Plan And That Went… Not Well - November 16, 2022
- 15 Tweets That Prove That Elon Musk Really Is Just A Twitter Troll - November 4, 2022