The other day I sent my friend home with two things: a vase I had borrowed and a jar of Trader Joe’s cookie butter. And then I found out about the Cookie Butter Latte at Starbucks. They first popped up in 2018 around the time Starbucks debuted their Cinnamon Shortbread Latte. But TikTok brought them back.
Because, here’s the thing: I love using Trader Joe’s or Biscoff’s cookie butter in recipes — like these speculoos ice cream popsicles — but if it’s sitting around my house, it’s going to be devoured incrementally, spoonful by spoonful.
No judgment there, but sometimes I just want a taste, and not the whole darn jar. And, today I went to Starbucks to get one and I have to report that it really does taste just like the spread.
At first sip, I thought it might be too gingerbread-y, but the more I sipped, the more the flavored latte tasted just like cookie butter! And, now I have a sugar high.
How to Order a Cookie Butter Latte at Starbucks
1. Order a Chai Latte with Oat Milk
2. Add 3 pumps of brown sugar syrup
3. Add 2 pump of chai
4. Add one shot of blonde espresso
The version going around has just 2 pumps of brown sugar and 1 pump of chai, but I don’t think that’s enough. (And I don’t like sweet drinks.) To really make it taste like the spread, you need a little more of the spice and sweetness.
Another Variation to Try, From Reddit.
• Order a White Chocolate Mocha with soy milk
• Ask for 2 pumps of white chocolate, 2 pumps of toffee nut, and 1 pump cinnamon dolce
• Whipped cream and caramel drizzle on top are optional.
What Is Cookie Butter?
In case you’re like, WTF is Cookie Butter, let me explain. You know those delicious little slightly spiced cookies they serve on Delta airlines? No? Well, they have notes of “cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and clove.” Unofficially, the cookies taste like gingerbread’s cooler cousin. The one with the sports car.
Now, smash up a bunch of those and turn them into a spreadable paste, and there you have it. You can get it at Trader Joe’s, on Amazon, or at pretty much any slightly fancy supermarket if you look hard enough.
Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf Has It On the Menu
Starbucks always gets the spotlight, but if you live near a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, they actually have three Cookie Butter beverages on their menu around the holidays and sell a Cookie Butter powder so you can make it at home. The on-menu drinks include:
- Cookie Butter Latte
- Cookie Butter Iced Latte
- Cookie Butter Ice Blended Drink (their version of a Frappuccino)
Starbucks Cookie Butter LattePrint Recipe
- 1 chai latte (iced or hot)
- oat milk
- 3 pumps brown sugar syrup
- 2 pump chai
- 1 shot blonde espresso (optional)
- Order a chai latte with oat milk
- Ask for brown sugar syrup, chai, and blonde espresso.
- Order a White Chocolate Mocha with soy milk
- Ask for 2 pumps of white chocolate, 2 pumps of toffee nut, and 1 pump cinnamon dolce
- Whipped cream and caramel drizzle on top are optional.