These Strawberry Cupcakes are made with fresh, juicy strawberries and topped with a delicious vanilla buttercream frosting.
Love strawberries? This summer try this homemade Strawberry Ice Cream when the berries are at their peak!
When I was a kid, my favorite snack was strawberries. In the summer, my mom used to fix me up a bowl of fresh strawberries, juicy as all can be, and I’d go find a good spot to lie back and daydream. Though the summer strawberries were already sweet and juicy, I loved adding a little powdered sugar to the bowl and dipping the strawberries in it.
These Strawberry Cupcakes remind me a bit of those lazy summer days. The cupcakes are fluffy and moist and topped with a vanilla buttercream. And while they require a few more ingredients than strawberries and powdered sugar, they’re easy to make.
They’re great during summer when strawberries are at their peak, but they’re also good for Valentine’s Day… or add a few blueberries on top and enjoy them for July 4th!
The recipe was adapted from Averie Cooks’ Strawberry Banana Bread recipe, so you could also forget the frosting altogether and serve them as strawberry banana muffins for breakfast!
Tips to Make the Best Strawberry Cupcakes
I know it’s tempting to use a strawberry cake mix, but you can totally bake these! Here are a few helpful tips to help:
Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature. It really does make a world of difference when it comes to baking because it allows all the ingredients to mix evenly. If you’re short on time, know that I cheat sometimes (ok, a lot) and warm up my butter in the microwave (about 10 seconds is usually enough) if it’s cold. To warm up eggs, place them in a bowl of hot water. You’ll find they come to room temperature pretty quickly.
To prevent the strawberries from making your batter too moist, toss them in flour. Tossing the strawberries in flour doesn’t seem to have a big effect on whether or not they sink to the bottom, however. To prevent this, you need to fill the bottom of your cupcake liners with a layer of batter that doesn’t have any strawberries in it. Check out my Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes recipe for more details.
Use white liners so you can see your cupcakes! I love using liners in various colors, but if you bake these in white liners, it makes a nice contrast with the bright white Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.
When you’re making the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting, if you find it’s too dry, add a tablespoon more milk. Too wet? Add a 1/4 cup of powdered sugar. Continue until you reach a consistency that stays on the spatula when you lift it out of the mixing bowl but doesn’t feel stiff.
If you love strawberry recipes, here are a few more to try!
- Strawberries and Cream Cake
- Easy Strawberry Tart with Strawberry Champagne Jam
- Strawberry Rhubarb Galette
Strawberry Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream FrostingPrint Recipe
- 2 cups strawberries (coarsely chopped)
- 1 1/2 cup flour (divided)
- 1 cup mashed banana (from 2 large bananas)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1-2 drops red food coloring (optional)
- whole strawberries (for topping)
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 3 cups powdered sugar (divided)
- 1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp. milk (divided)
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two muffin tins with 18 cupcake liners.
- Toss chopped strawberries with 1/4 cup flour in small bowl.
- Mash banana in small bowl.
- Whisk oil, egg, brown sugar, sugar, sour cream, and vanilla extract together in large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together 1 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to oil mixture. Stir until combined or mix on low speed. Add banana. Add strawberries. Add food coloring if desired.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when gently touched. Let cool completely on cooling rack before frosting.
For the Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Add butter to mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Add 2 cups powdered sugar. Cover bowl.
- Turn mixer on medium and mix until consistency resembles pebbles. Add vanilla extract and 2 Tbsp. milk. Turn speed to high.
- Reduce speed and add 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Alternate between powdered sugar and milk until desired consistency is achieved. Turn mixer on high for 60 seconds. Frost cupcakes and top with whole strawberry.
Tell me your favorite cupcake flavor in the comments below!
- Is Starbucks Open On Thanksgiving? Here Are Their Hours for Turkey Day 2023 - November 9, 2023
- Dunkin’s Holiday Menu for 2023 Is Here and Includes Loaded Hash Browns and Cookie Butter Cold Brew - October 6, 2023
- If You Can’t Find the Starbucks Green Slime Tumbler, These Etsy Ones Are the Next Best Thing - September 12, 2023