This easy Strawberry Puff Pastry Tart has a flaky crust that’s topped with a delicious layer of mascarpone, strawberry champagne jam, and fresh strawberries. It’s a great last-minute recipe for brunch or dessert!
For this recipe, I used the Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry sheets because I don’t know about you… but I don’t always have time to make my own puff pastry dough from scratch. And, let’s be honest, if I did, I’d make croissants. So, if you’re like, I really want to make a strawberry tart but I don’t have time to make my own dough, I’m right there with you. Not like literally. Don’t make this weird.
How to Make a Strawberry Puff Pastry Tart
This tart is one of the easiest desserts I’ve ever made! You can use any jam you want, but I decided to use strawberry champagne jam for this because it complements the other flavors so well. That’s why I repeated the flavor combination in my Strawberry Champagne Trifle Cake.
In case you’re wondering why I bake the dough before adding the mascarpone and the strawberries, it’s because those don’t have to be baked to be enjoyed. If you do want to bake them to change the flavor, you can, but bake the puff pastry once first. This is called blind baking and it helps prevent the dough from getting soggy.
Here’s my step-by-step recipe to make this puff pastry tart
Preheat your oven to 400° F.
Unroll one Puff Pastry sheet onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll the pastry with rolling pin until your rectangle almost fills the baking sheet.
Roll the edges to form a border, then pierce the inside of the tart all over with a fork. This helps the tart base stay flat as it bakes.
Brush the dough with a beaten egg and bake for 18 minutes until it’s golden brown. Then, remove it from the over and let it cool on a cooling rack.
Mix together the mascarpone and sugar in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Slice your strawberries. For the look in these photos, slice off the top of the strawberries and then slice each strawberry vertically into 3-4 pieces.
Using an offset spatula or a spoon, spread the mascarpone mixture on top of the dough.
Use your spoon or spatula to spread the jam on top of the mascarpone layer.
Place sliced strawberries on top and cut into slices.
Can I Make the Tart Ahead of Time?
You can bake the puff pastry a day ahead of time, but it’s best to add the toppings the day you want to serve it. This helps prevent the juices from the jam and the strawberries from making the puff pastry soggy.
Why Is My Puff Pastry Not Rising?
Working with puff pastry is surprisingly simple. (Especially if you don’t make the dough from scratch.) But, whether your buy the Pepperidge Farm sheets or your make your own, you want to make sure that your dough and your oven are the right temperature. Here’s a few tips to help.
- Make sure to preheat your oven. Ovens can take 10 minutes or more to come to the right temperature. Cold ovens can cause the dough to sink.
- If you preheated your oven and it says it was 400°, it’s time to get an inexpensive oven thermometer. I’ve had ovens that are up to 50 degrees off and this has saved so many of my bakes.
- Your Puff Pastry was too cold when it went in the oven. If you try and work with it too when it’s still frozen, you’re likely to tear it. And, if you don’t, it still might not rise well. Remove the sheets from the freezer and let them thaw for 30 to 40 minutes at room temperature before you bake them. If you don’t have time for this, you can place the frozen sheets in the fridge the night before to let them thaw.
- Your dough might be too warm. If it’s warm to the touch or starts to tear when you’re rolling or shaping it (and it’s not frozen), place it back in the fridge before you bake it.
Strawberry Puff Pastry TartPrint Recipe
- 1 sheet Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 4 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 pint strawberries (sliced)
- 3 Tbsp. strawberry champagne jam
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Unroll one sheet of Puff Pastry onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll pastry with rolling pin until rectangle almost fills baking sheet.
- Roll pastry edges in to form a border.
- Use fork to pierce inside of tart evenly.
- Brush dough with beaten egg.
- Bake for 18 minutes. Remove and let cool on cooling rack.
- Mix mascarpone and sugar together in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Use an offset spatula or spoon to spread the mascarpone mixture on top of the dough.
- Use an offset spatula or spoon to spread the jam on top of the mascarpone.
- Top with sliced strawberries.
- Is Starbucks Open On Thanksgiving? Here Are Their Hours for Turkey Day 2023 - November 9, 2023
- Dunkin’s Holiday Menu for 2023 Is Here and Includes Loaded Hash Browns and Cookie Butter Cold Brew - October 6, 2023
- If You Can’t Find the Starbucks Green Slime Tumbler, These Etsy Ones Are the Next Best Thing - September 12, 2023