Things are expensive. I don’t think anyone — save, perhaps Lucille Bluth — would argue with that. So, when it comes to navigating inflation these days, you’ve got to make smart choices. Especially when you’re at the airport where even bottled water is expensive AF.
There are reasons we shop at Trader Joe’s and not Erewhon. And, it’s not just because of the snacks (though, it is mostly because of their snacks). So, it’s no surprise that when New York Times columnist David Brooks posted that his meal cost him $78 dollars at the Newark airport, more than a couple folks raised their eyebrows. And posted memes in response on Twitter.
The meal, which he captioned “This meal just cost me $78 at Newark Airport. This is why Americans think the economy is terrible,” comprised of a burger, fries, and what appears to be a double shot of bourbon from Smoke House BBQ in Terminal A. Good bourbon, ICYMI, is not cheap. Unlike vodka, which pretty much all tastes the same.
So, here are the best “this meal just cost me $78” memes and tweets for you to shake your head at.
This meal just cost me $78 at Newark Airport. This is why Americans think the economy is terrible. pic.twitter.com/1qeV9qOBL3
— David Brooks (@nytdavidbrooks) September 21, 2023
The Best This Was $78 at Newark Airport Memes and Reactions
1. Actually, that seems like a deal.
2. We’d pay that for this creative effort.
3. Was most of it the time machine?
4. Those watermelon gummies will get ya.
5. Not directly about this situation, but tangentially.
Worst part about not buying snacks so you won’t eat snacks is not having snacks when you need a lil snack
— bria celest (@55mmbae) September 21, 2023
6. Mmmm cake.
7. You’re mostly paying for the loungy bit here.
This meal cost me $78 at Newark Airport. This is why Americans think the economy is terrible. https://t.co/AqAUSShg5Q
— JP (@jpbrammer) September 21, 2023
8. If only Brooks knew.
This meal just cost me $78 at O'Hare Airport. Pretty good deal, TBH. pic.twitter.com/J0LfflTwcl
— Rex Huppke (@RexHuppke) September 21, 2023
9. We once drank an entire bottle of Arbor Mist on the dance floor. Mmmm, college.
— Jess Piper (@piper4missouri) September 21, 2023
10. Bluth strikes again.
— Jordan Treece (@JTreece406) September 21, 2023
11. We honestly believe this.
12. Is it a Smeg toaster?
This meal just cost me $78 at Newark Airport. This is why Americans think the economy is terrible. pic.twitter.com/cqadIWo8bL
— JRR Jokien (@joshcarlosjosh) September 21, 2023
13. Ok, haha and all, but where can we order this?
This meal just cost me $78 at Hartsfield-Jackson. This is why Americans think the economy is terrible. pic.twitter.com/n67H3sN7ua
— Anthony Michael Kreis (@AnthonyMKreis) September 21, 2023
14. Did you literally skip every coney island on the way to the airport?
This meal cost me $78 at DTW. This is why Americans think the economy is terrible. pic.twitter.com/xgbVu40mxo
— cyclesixmile (@cyclesixmile) September 21, 2023
15. But, fries.
This meal cost me $78 at Newark airport. Thanks Joe Biden. pic.twitter.com/ZzP1HRLDo0
— ????????????????????????_???????????????????????? (@SundaeDivine) September 21, 2023
16. Cheers to that.
If David Brooks had just tweeted "spent way too much money on whiskey at the airport" everyone would have been like "amen brother, been there, most relatable thing you've ever said in fact" https://t.co/GZ2C2An8tS
— Leigh Beadon (@leighbeadon) September 21, 2023
17. Can you blame them?
18. If it’s Eagle Rare, save us some.
I’m going to need to know the brand of whiskey before I can judge the appropriateness of this bill. https://t.co/J8fh7yxqA1
— Ben Dreyfuss (@bendreyfuss) September 21, 2023
19. Our favorite kind of math meets our favorite kind of girl dinner.
A typical airport burger and fries is in the $18 dollar range; a typical double well whiskey rocks is in the $20 range. Solve for x: 18+20x=78. https://t.co/TYe7wXoJHn
— Jacob Bacharach (@jakebackpack) September 21, 2023
19. Internet sleuth Rob Graham wins the hero award for this thread.
Menu suggests the burger/fries cost $17 and the rest must be the whisker. pic.twitter.com/OTmfj9kVKX
— Robᵉʳᵗ Graham ???? (@ErrataRob) September 21, 2023
- These Starbucks Christmas Cups Featuring Huskies and Polar Bears Are the Cutest We’ve Seen - November 22, 2023
- There’s a Gold Stanley Starbucks Cup That You Need to See - November 20, 2023
- Reese’s Caramel Big Cup Arrives Just In Time for the Holidays - November 10, 2023