Thanksgiving is kind of a weird holiday. It doesn’t revolve around candy like Halloween or Easter. And it doesn’t involve gift giving like Christmas or birthdays.
Instead, it focuses entirely on your skills in the kitchen. And if you don’t have any, it results in some pretty epic Thanksgiving fails.
Look, not everyone has been trained by Gordon Ramsay. Sometimes you’re going to burn a pie or mangle a turkey. But the people below took things to a level of chaos that we didn’t know existed. And we’ve witnessed five girls trying to get ready for the night with one outlet and half a mirror.
From unrecognizable piles of char to exploding mashed potatoes, these hilarious Thanksgiving fails will make you think twice before firing up your oven. Or, be thankful that your parents are taking the lead on this food-focused holiday for another year.
You can bring the paper napkins again. You’re doing great, sweetie.
21 of the Best Thanksgiving Fails
1. We call this piece of artwork, “Deconstructed Bird Thing.” Coming to MoMA this fall.
2. That’s a pretty ballsy move to bring a store bought dessert to Thanksgiving.
3. Speaking of balls… that is not one.
4. We like the spirit of what they were trying to accomplish. But unlike the leaders of the French revolution, they didn’t quite nail the execution.
5. This is only a fail if you don’t have a sense of humor.
6. Okay, who didn’t read the IKEA instructions on how to put this bird together?
7. Judges, we present an, uh, chocolate pie.
8. This is what it looks like when a turkey is better at yoga than you.
9. We didn’t know turkeys liked leather jackets.
10. Honestly, we’d still eat these dinner rolls.
11. These, however… not so much.
12. You had one job, table!
13. Good try. You only missed Halloween by four weeks.
14. Alright everyone, we’re eating in the kitchen this year.
15. Plus 10 points for creativity. Minus 10 points for making us lose our appetite for turkey. And strawberries. And chocolate. Come on!
16. These pecans just pe-can’t be tamed. Glass ceiling who?
17. Just save this for your kids’ volcano science project next month.
18. Dinner rolls? Potatoes? Dragon eggs? Your childhood hopes and dreams? Who knows!
19. Mmm. Good soup.
20. “May contain glass shards.”
21. The only person this isn’t a fail for is the dog. Happy Thanksgiving, bud!